[OSGeo-Conf] [Board] travel grant discussion

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri May 12 12:39:54 PDT 2017

+1 to Steven's comments.

When chairing FOSS4G 2009 I was surprised by how many people had very
compelling reasons for why they in particular deserved a free pass to
the conference. And at the same time, there are people equally
passionate about keeping fees to a minimum.

The hardest part of the travel grant program is that there will be
insufficient budget for everyone's request. There is likely to be
endless debate over what is fair, with most people thinking that what is
selected is unfair for them. Lots of people will need to be told "No,
sorry you didn't get a spot".

So yes, the most important thing is to create a set of selection
principles, which are transposed into selection criteria, which is
allocated to a selection panel to apply as fairly as they see fit. Then
to defend the selection committee when people complain.

I suggest that every attendee should "have some skin in the game". Ie
this travel grant shouldn't be seen as a way to get a free holiday. It
should be seen as supporting a hugely dedicated community member to
connect with other people such that they can amplify their effectiveness.
So I'd suggest criteria include:
* Volunteer effort by recipient > Cost of grant
* The recipient co-contributes in some way, maybe by partly funding
their activity, maybe by working at the event, such as helping out on
the OSGeo booth

Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254