[OSGeo-Conf] [Board] travel grant discussion

Kristin Bott bottk at reed.edu
Fri May 12 16:03:03 PDT 2017

All --

Very, very excited to see travel grants picked up as a consistent piece of
FOSS4G.

Having either run or been involved in the applicant selection process for a
half-dozen of these/similar programs, I wanted to chime in -- the below
questions (from Steven) are important and can be complicated to navigate.

> We need simple criteria from OSGeo to determine our selection of
recipients

   1. Do we give priority to people from lower income countries? 100%?
      2. Is OSGeo content to allow the selection group to prioritise
      ethnicity and gender as they see fit?
      3. Do we give full funding to a small number of people or partial
      funding to a larger number
      4. Do we ask/expect travel grant recipients to volunteer some time at
      the event?

>From what I've seen (again, across a number of different approaches to a
travel grant/scholarship program) -- either the LOC or OSGeo will need to
be clear about the *goal* of the TG program -- is this about:
-- financial access (defined by country of origin? self-identified need?),
-- increasing diversity (what does that mean -- and how do you identify it
... and what particular axis of diversity are you interested in -- gender?
country of origin? [how does that change when the location of the
conference changes?] other underrepresented group identity?
-- what stage of career are you interested in supporting (all? advanced
only? new only? preference given only to those with submitted talks? <-- a
problematic metric because who is likely to submit a talk is not an equal
cross-section of all people...)

... I can see Steven's questions being answered by the LOC or by OSGeo; it
may be easiest to let the LOCs define their own scope and program, although
if there is clear consensus re: answer from OSGeo to any of the above
questions, perhaps priorities can be set @ the org level, as well.

Again, I'm really glad to see this potentially moving forward as an
institutional priority.

-k.bott

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 12:39 PM, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com