[OSGeo-Conf] Administering FOSS4G Travel Grants

Steven Feldman shfeldman at gmail.com
Mon May 15 09:38:31 PDT 2017

Till, CC

I sat in on a call with Jody and Angelos to work out how we should proceed with implementing and administering the Travel Grant Programme (TGP).

Here is a summary

Jody has drafted 2 motions for the board:

1) to assign responsibility for establishing and administering a TGP https://www.loomio.org/p/4CZrPTLS/assign-travel-grant-responsibility-to-the-conference-committee <https://www.loomio.org/p/4CZrPTLS/assign-travel-grant-responsibility-to-the-conference-committee> - voting period 1 day

2) to provide $10k funding for FOSS4G 2017 TGP and a fourth $10k of matched funding for other events https://www.loomio.org/p/jhp8SX1L/travel-grant-budget-10-10-proposal <https://www.loomio.org/p/jhp8SX1L/travel-grant-budget-10-10-proposal> - voting period 3 days

Jody suggested that the CC set up a Working Group to run the TGP - members can be CC members or other volunteers (the CC reserves oversight of the WG). This WG can then request budget from OSGeo in the 2018 budget round. The WG can also seek sponsors for it’s work (triggering the matched funding proposed in motion 2) above)

We discussed how the TGP could advance OSGeo’s objective of increasing diversity of participation. Jody suggested that we ask each LOC of an event to set their own diversity target (could be gender, economic status, race or some other criteria or combination) The grant awards for that event would then aim to give preference to applications that furthered the LOC’s diversity target.

In working on our process and criteria for establishing a TGP we may wish to make use of the draft notes that Jody had pulled together for the board. I have made a copy which is freely editable at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rMhlsjEZelgvbpd9HwKq2wv953upy2iVetruddq07nA/edit?usp=sharing <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rMhlsjEZelgvbpd9HwKq2wv953upy2iVetruddq07nA/edit?usp=sharing>

Till, over to you

Cheers
______
Steven