[OSGeo-Conf] Start 2019 RFP / Call for vote on "alternative voting option for stage 1"

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 14:35:39 PDT 2017

-0 For proposed thumbs up/down voting.

-0 For current 1 vote per voting member.

+1 For preferential voting.

Cameron

The thumbs up/down voting will help valuable proposals reach round 2,
which is good. But it is likely to remove the need for this first step
all together. Every city should be capable of putting together a
compelling 2 page proposal. Most of us voters are likely to provide
thumbs up for all proposals.

We then miss the point of stage 1 voting, which is to reduce duplicating
the large effort required to create a full proposal. The aim is to help
cities get early feedback on whether they are likely to win, and then
decide whether it is worth the effort.

I think a better means for achieving our voting goals is to use
Preferential (Ranked) voting [1], as used to vote in governments in many
democratic countries.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranked_voting

On 6/9/17 1:42 am, Eli Adam wrote:
> +1 Eli