[OSGeo-Conf] Start 2019 RFP / Call for vote on "alternative voting option for stage 1"

Till Adams till.adams at fossgis.de
Tue Sep 12 04:18:40 PDT 2017

Dear list,

last friday the vote on "alternative voting option for stage 1" ended.

As far as I can see, we got 6 votes (hope I did not accidentally delete
related emails):

We have 5 x "+1" votes and 1 "-0" vote

With his "-0" Cameron proposes to use preferential voting (I attached
his words below)

My suggestion is the following:

Regarding a "-0"-vote not as "-1" which is a blocker I'd like to propose
for now, that we test the thumps up/thumps down voting for the (already
started) 2019 process. This also in order not to keep potential bidders
in suspense.

For the call for vote on the LoI I can remember CC-members, not to
careless put their thumbs up and also should consider to decline their
thump, if they think, that the LoI has too many gaps.

For the 2020-process we can have a new round of discussions on that
topic, then we'll also have some experience with the now newly used
methof of "thumbs up/thumbs down"-vote.

If now nobody cries and replies with a "-1", the call for change of
voting on LoI is accepted and hereby changed for 2019 to a thumbs
up/thumbs down vote.

Till

Camerons thoughts:

"We then miss the point of stage 1 voting, which is to reduce
duplicating the large effort required to create a full proposal. The aim
is to help cities get early feedback on whether they are likely to win,
and then decide whether it is worth the effort.

I think a better means for achieving our voting goals is to use
Preferential (Ranked) voting [1], as used to vote in governments in many
democratic countries.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranked_voting

"