[OSGeo-Conf] OSgeo travel grant program support

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Wed Jul 11 08:42:18 PDT 2018

Hi Adam,

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 1:21 AM, adam steer <adam.d.steer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi conference team
>
> The committee organising FOSS4G SotM Oceania would like to operate a travel
> grant program - aimed at assisting regional participants (for example, from
> pacific islands - or from remote Australian communities).

That's great that FOSS4G SotM Oceania wants to operate a TGP program!

> This e-mail is part 1 of the OSgeo TGP procedure
> (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Travel_Grant_Programme_2018). I believe

That 2018 page is specific to the international 2018 FOSS4G in Dar es
Salaam.  This page,
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Travel_Grant_Programme_Cookbook,
may provide more general information to the TGP.

> our conference co-chairs (John and Alex, in cc) are invited to the August
> OSgeo board meeting - so I thought it timely to raise our intention to
> request TGP assistance. We are also just now in a position to start planning
> - we feel we have enough sponsorship commitment to start.
>
> We will co-fund a TGP using sponsorship funds we’ve generated; and in
> general align the TGP with previous programs run for OSgeo events.

Good to have matching funds, this is part of the idea.  Also, decide
whether TGP recipients will receive complimentary registration.

> One major issue is apparent - the OSgeo TGP recommendations suggest that we
> would not be able to give funding to attendees from Australia. We (the
> conference committee) request discretion to fund Australian attendees where
> we see fit. Why?

This is a misunderstanding based on using the page specific to the
international 2018 FOSS4G event.  There is no such general
restriction.  You will need to decide on criteria/guidelines of some
sort though.

Running a TGP takes a fair amount of work which will mostly be done by
the LOC.  The Conference Committee can provide some guidance,
potentially some budget allocation, and some examples.  I think that
you also have to get a Conference Committee member to agree to join
the LOC in running the TGP.

Best regards, Eli