[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G SotM travel grant funding request - first cut

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 04:31:31 PDT 2018

Hi folks,

After some really useful input from this list and much consideration, we’ve
put together an OSgeo travel grant funding proposal:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RDlzFH5fyciTqY3xyj6aSvdOF8TOSX4MYosy7YNc9K0/edit#

We’re seeking $AU3000 from OSgeo to help fund 5(ish) attendees; and cover
visa costs for up to 5 attendees from pacific island nations (an obstacle
identified by people living in the relevant regions).

We’d like to get this on the OSgeo board agenda as soon as possible - so we
can announce the program, work on a timetable, work on a selection process
and work on a more diverse selection committee.

Some details are still quite loose. A bit like Africa, it’s cheap to fund
an attendee from near the conference, but really expensive to cover someone
from across the same continent - flexibility in how funds are assigned is
critical, as is transparency around the process. And we don’t know where
our applicants will come from yet!

As always, we’d love any feedback that comes. It’s our first shot, we’re
likely to get a lot wrong.

Regards

Adam

--