[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G-NA -- request for financial records

Steven Feldman shfeldman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 05:04:35 PDT 2018

If the FOSS4GNA committee did not stipulate a requirement for LocationTech to report financial data post conference then there is no obligation on LT to do so even if an LT employee mis-spoke.

That said, it does not prevent LT from providing some financial information in the interest of transparency and to support/inform future organisers of FOSS4G events (global and regional).

Surely LT could publish a simple form of accounts which could be a simple as:

Income
Early Birds
Full tickets
Discounted tickets (students, speakers etc)
Free Tickets
Sponsorship
Expenditure
Venue fees
Catering
Entertainment/Party
Marketing
Equipment hire
T-shirts etc
Credit card and registration service fees
Printing
Professional Conference Organiser fees
Other
Surplus

There is no expectation that these accounts should disclose people’s salaries and it is up to LT to determine the level of granularity of info provided that adequately protects their organisation's confidential matters.

Currently the Conference Committee has no involvement in the arrangements for regional events nor can we mandate any requirements for the use of the FOSS4G brand. Perhaps it is time to reconsider this laissez-faire approach?
______
Steven