[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G-NA -- request for financial records

michael terner ternergeo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 09:54:30 PDT 2018

+1 Big thanks to Rob for explaining things and providing context.

Also, a thanks to LT for stepping forward for three FOSS4GNA cycles. We can
all find imperfections that are more, or less important to us individually,
but the fact remains that there were three *great events* in North America
(2015, 2016 and 2018) that would not have happened without LocationTech's
involvement. And, as others have said, we *can* learn lessons that can be
passed on to future conference teams (e.g., a potential
requirement/guideline for post conference financial reporting).

But, as Marc pointed out it is indeed time to focus on FOSS4GNA *2019*.
And, it is really important for all of us to realize that with LT pulling
back from "leading" FOSS4GNA, the Core Committee has its hands full finding
a team, a location and a Chair for that event. I know some possibilities
are being explored and that the new OSGeo US Chapter is now an active
participant in the Core Committee, but those plans need to firm up soon as
there are really only ~11 months to go until that conference would normally
happen.

Let's learn from this productive, if not painful at times, thread and move
on to FOSS4GNA 2019. This is a great event that has benefited the North
American FOSS4G ecosystem and from my POV it needs to recur.

MT

Michael Terner
ternergeo at gmail.com
(M) 978-631-6602