[OSGeo-Conf] Questions / Remarks to Calgary proposal

Till Adams till.adams at fossgis.de
Sun Nov 25 23:16:40 PST 2018

Dear Calgary Team!

I open the question round on step 2 of RfP with these two questions:

  * "The remaining 50% of profit will be held in-trust by TECTERRA and
    used as a travel grant program for Alberta-based students to travel
    to future international FOSS4G events (Page 40):

In the FOSS4G cookbook [1] it is not clearly defined, how much of the
revenue has to be passed back to OSGeo, but there is a not yet decided
proposal that 85% of a FOSS4G surplus goes to OSGeo. The idea to hold
50% in order to setup a dedicated travel grant programme for Alberta
people for future OSGeo events only sounds little strange to me -
especially as there is an official travel grant programme of OSGeo. Can
you please explain your ideas behind that a bit more?

  * Finances

Your calculation is based between 24-30% on sponsorship - depending on
scenario "LOW" or "GOAL". Even when regarding the already signed
sponsorships, in any case there is a need to sign at least a sum of 150k
more sponsorship-money, in order to reach a balanced budget. Do you have
an emergency plan, what happens if something unexpected may happen or
what to do when missing your sponsorship goal?

I also put the questions into the WIKI [2]. Please put your answers also
there.

Regards, Till

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook#Finances, bullet (7)

[2] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G2020_Q%26A_2_Calgary