[OSGeo-Conf] Rfp 2020 questions - Sustainability

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Oct 10 17:26:36 PDT 2018

Dear Jonathan,

We really appreciate your questions, and the FOSS4G-HFX team would like
to briefly tackle them (below, in-line):

> * Have you given any though to ensuring your conference is
> sustainable\green\environmentally friendly?

Members of the FOSS4G-HFX team recently returned from FOSS4G events in
Tanzania, as well as Brazil, and it is very interesting to us to see how
different local committees from around the world handle sustainability
and environmentally friendliness for an event (you can imagine the hosts
of the FOSS4G-Brazil event being focused on this, as their agency is
tasked with protecting the Amazon rainforest). We are compiling ideas
and discussing ways to follow the lead of these events, and also make
some changes/improvements. To answer the question directly: the
FOSS4G-HFX team is committed to being environmentally friendly in every
aspect of the event, throughout the whole lifecycle of the event.

> * Does your venue have any sustainability initiatives\credentials etc?

The province of Nova Scotia produces the least waste per capita and has
the highest waste diversion rate in Canada.  We are therefore very proud
to show our many initiatives locally, starting with the brand new venue
the Nova Centre, in the vibrant downtown of Halifax.  The venue has many
initiatives, including:

- received highest standard of green for a building, a LEED Gold
building (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)

- water bottle refill stations in each room and throughout venue

- digital screens at entrance to each room (reducing generating physical
signs)

- Use of a revolutionary Food Waste Disposal System: a self-contained,
continual feed, organic waste disposal system designed to convert food
waste into water.

- catered food has local menu items that are organic, fairly traded,
seasonal and not processed, helping to reduce the carbon footprint and
support our local economy

- Meals and snacks are presented on either porcelain or compostable
dishware.

- venue regularly donates unused food items to the local food bank
(we’ve already verified this with venue)

- but maybe pictures help more; back in June we had our walk-through of
the new Nova Centre (also attended by the in-house A/V lead, so we got
to ask many technical questions as well)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dgoNx9wmV3d2Q5ok7

> * Does your host city have good public transport, including between the
> venue/events/likely-accommodation/airport? (note: taxi's are not public
> transport ;-) )

Great news is that just last year a new direct bus line, part of the
Halifax transit system, was added from the international airport to
downtown Halifax (to Scotia Square, which is literally beside the venue,
and within walking distance to major hotels and hostels).  The bus only
makes one stop on the way, and costs only 2.60 USD.  Locally it is
called the “MetroX” airport bus.

The FOSS4G-HFX team have been discussing transportation for several
months now, and we have several ideas to help the OSGeo family easily
arrive and get settled.  We are famous in Canada for our maritime
hospitality for a reason, and taking care to ensure a relaxing and
stress-free arrival and departure and getting around, is part of who we
are here.

> * Is the host city reasonably reachable by something other than flying?

We are excited and thrilled to outline other modes of transportation for
the OSGeo family, hopefully in the full proposal stage.  We can answer
now an enthusiastic YES.

Thank you again Jonathan.

-Karine & Jeff
FOSS4G-HFX 2020 co-chairs