[OSGeo-Conf] Vote stage 1 on RfP 2020 before 19th of October

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 12:48:34 PDT 2018

Maxi,

I feel like the questions below have been covered in detail in prior
debates on this list, and in responding I'm just restating opinions made
before.

I'm responding now to acknowledge that I've heard you, and while I
respect the importance of being able to share one's views, I feel we
don't want to spend all our time debating one topic and not moving onto
more productive things.

Summarising prior points on this topic:

* The large conferences are financially risky for OSGeo and have failed
in the past (FOSS4G Beijing was cancelled)

* Large conferences have many factors to consider in order to become
successful

* They require significant work from the local organising committee

* OSGeo should aim to use trustworthy people, with both the experience
and time commitment, to make decisions about selection of a conference
venue. Typically such people have already spent time running a large
conference.

* To your point of presentation selection, selecting presentations is
less risky and drawing upon the wisdom of crowds is a more effective way
of getting a depth of opinion from our community. Hence, for the last
decade or so, we have adopted what I consider to be an effective
community voting process for presentations.

Maxi, I acknowledge that my response probably doesn't align with your
opinions. But I'm hoping that we can agree to disagree, and in this case
defer to the majority opinion from our current conference committee.

Warm regards, Cameron

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier