[OSGeo-Conf] TGP's in 2019

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 13:31:28 PST 2019

Hi Conference dev folks

I wrote and deleted a long post which said effectively +1 to Mark’s
comments. The very short version is that air travel is pretty much the only
way to get around much of Oceania, and as such needs to be an option
(cruise ships are another, but very dirty also).

I’m struggling a little with Eli’s idea of funding based on expected
conference attendance. Again, in Oceania conferences might not be huge but
TGP support costs are high. I’d preference assessment on a case by case
basis (ie the conference LOC puts up a proposal, it is assessed - but
proposals all have to be submitted in the open), with maybe some work to
develop guidelines around ‘if you live in region X, plan around cost Y per
TGP funded attendee’. Of course, this is prima facie unfair because it’s a
lot cheaper to support a TGP attendee in Tanzania than it is in Oceania.
Food for thought/further discussion.

…and of course, a fine rebuttal would be ‘work harder on
sponsorship/fundraising! There’s money in the region, extract it!'

Cheers

Adam