[OSGeo-Conf] TGP's in 2019

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Mon Feb 11 14:42:52 PST 2019

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 1:31 PM adam steer <adam.d.steer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Conference dev folks
>
> I wrote and deleted a long post which said effectively +1 to Mark’s
> comments. The very short version is that air travel is pretty much the only
> way to get around much of Oceania, and as such needs to be an option
> (cruise ships are another, but very dirty also).

+1 to a lot of what Mark said.  Mark (and the Dar LOC) certainly set a high
standard for what the TGP can be.  I was certainly glad to help a little
bit on that process (and seeing how much the TGP had grown since some of
our efforts in PDX was humbling - nice work).  But again these are criteria
that will be set by the LOC running that individual TGP.

> I’m struggling a little with Eli’s idea of funding based on expected
> conference attendance. Again, in Oceania conferences might not be huge but
> TGP support costs are high. I’d preference assessment on a case by case
> basis (ie the conference LOC puts up a proposal, it is assessed - but
> proposals all have to be submitted in the open), with maybe some work to
> develop guidelines around ‘if you live in region X, plan around cost Y per
> TGP funded attendee’. Of course, this is prima facie unfair because it’s a
> lot cheaper to support a TGP attendee in Tanzania than it is in Oceania.
> Food for thought/further discussion.

My suggestion was intended as a general starting guideline and not intended
as rigid.

Oceania (or other regions) can certainly make their case for why their
portion should be multiplied by Z.

Also, different regions may be able to support a different number of TGP
recipients based on various factors.  I've made cases for TGP recipients
very near (and costing very little) as well as very distant with poor
transportation connectivity (and costing a sizable portion of the total TGP
but there were not going to be closer/easier FOSS4G events for them in the
near future, but maybe they would be the seed that grows FOSS4G there).

Hopefully we take a reasonable approach that is open to reason, revision,
and flexibility and gets better over time.

Best regards, Eli