[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G-NA 2019 TGP request thread

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 10:03:21 PST 2019

Thanks Steven, replies inline.
--
Jody Garnett

> - it would be helpful to have numbers (rather than bullet points) in the
> cook book to facilitate email discussion.
>
> Changed to numbered paragraphs

Thanks!

> 3. Estimate the anticipated number of grants and their size
> - some guidance needed on what is appropriate?
> - stating the obvious, due to #2 travel grant funding is based on
> accommodation and travel rather than conference pass
>
> *Example:*
> LOC decides to offer 6 grants of $500 plus 2 grants of $1,000 total cost
> $5,000 plus 8 free conference passes.
> LOC applies for a grant of $2,500 from OSGeo TGP

Thanks that helps, I will establish a budget and then work backwards. I
also need a better understanding of airfare and accommodation costs for the
event.  I prefer the idea of this being an assist rather than completely
covering expenses.

> 5. Team of volunteers being assembled now, existing team of 1-3 will seek
> assistance of CC members to jump start the selection process
>
> CC will support you. We have a template application form which you can
> copy and modify. We have a suggested methodology that you can use which
> saves you reinventing the wheel

Yes this is the key thing, even more so then the financial support.

> 6. Accommodation options are listed on the website
> - Not sure about the requirement to vette as safe and secure (the website
> lists nearby neighbourhoods for airbnb stays)
>
> Objective is to suggest low(wish) cost accommodation for TGP recipients
> which is safe and secure (I think this arose from some concerns about
> suggested hostels in previous years)

We are going to do our best to stay out of recommending specific
accommodation.

> 7. Outline how travel grants are paid
> - Michael had some strong guidance on what he would accept after previous
> years experience  (I think it amounted to paying in person when they show
> up at the conference but we can double check)
>
> CC view is that grants should be paid when recipients arrive but we
> recognise that some people may need part of their grant up front. The
> choice is yours. We recommend electronic payment as we are uncomfortable
> with anyone having to manage large amounts of cash.

We may be able to handle that on a case by case basis, if for example
airfare needs to be booked.