[OSGeo-Conf] OSGeo budget plan request

michael terner ternergeo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 04:30:12 PST 2019

One other issue/suggestion that has come up for funding consideration has
been "cash support" for an LOC funding videoing/livestreaming of the
program. While I am comfortable *not* having videoing, or only limited
video, as was the case in Dar es Salaam, if videoing is something that
OSGeo *wants *then cash support of that effort should be available for
LOCs. In the end, a successful conference's surplus should return the money
that OSGeo invests. But critically, having to carry a $30,000 - $50,000
budget line item is both scary and burdensome for an LOC whose main job is
to provide the best possible experience for those who pay to attend (or
attend via supported programs like TGP or volunteering). It also requires
significant post event effort to edit and post-process the video.

If videoing is to become an "expectation", or something included in the
RFP, then I would propose $30,000 of budget to support video of future
conferences. These funds could also be directed to a long-term OSGeo
partner - such as the team that video'ed Bonn, Kaos Klub (sic) - that would
cover the videoing of future conferences.

Sincerely,

MT

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 6:23 AM MarĂ­a Arias de Reyna <delawen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 12:12 PM Steven Feldman <shfeldman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I have added a draft process for LOC applications for TGP support at
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Travel_Grant_Programme_Cookbook
> >
> > Please feel free to edit and improve
> >

> Not sure how to phrase this, but I think it is important to warrantee
> not only that the conference ticket will be free but also if/to what
> extent the amount provided will cover travel expenses, food expenses,
> allocation expenses,... And if there is an already chosen place where
> the travel grants are going to stay and eat, that it has a minimum
> quality like: some basic security (if room is shared, who will be
> sharing the room with you: other conference participants? strangers?),
> having a place to drop your stuff behind a key (like a locker), hot
> water in the bathroom (yes, this is a thing that can happen on hostals
> around the world and I just discovered :| I'm so first world... ),...
> etc.
>
> I know, don't look at the teeth of the horse if they are giving it to
> you for free, but imagine someone is short of money and once arrived
> at the event, they discover that they have to book a different place
> because, for example, there's no place to drop the laptop while you
> get a shower. Or worse. I think we should set up a minimum quality on
> the TGP, or, at least, make events explicit the conditions before
> travel grants start buying tickets.

Michael Terner
ternergeo at gmail.com
(M) 978-631-6602