[OSGeo-Conf] OSGeo budget plan request

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 19:25:28 PST 2019

Hi, just a quick note here from Oceania. We ran a TGP for FOSS4G SotM
Oceania, and ended up awarding grants to 7 attendees, partly funded by
OSGeo and partly by our Good Mojo program [1]. We're certainly keen to run
a similar program for 2019, and hopefully will expand it to have greater
impact. It was heavily subscribed, despite short notice periods and fairly
minimal advertising. We received excellent feedback from our attendees on
this program.

*>My guess is that regional and national TGP will focus on locals and short
travels.*
For Oceania, many of our TGP attendees traveled to Melbourne from the
Pacific Islands (Fiji, Samoa, Solomon Islands), which is actually a fairly
large journey, with expensive airfares and onerous visa processes
(particularly for Australia, hopefully less so for New Zealand). I suppose
every region will have some circumstances that are unique, and some that
are common to all regions.

I've contacted Till and Steven directly to offer my help with drafting
processes for supporting regional TGPs.

Cheers
John

[1] https://2018.foss4g-oceania.org/attend/good-mojo-program