[OSGeo-Conf] OSGeo budget plan request

adam steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 00:01:26 PST 2019

Hi all

Adding to John's comments - being involved in gathering support  from OSGeo
for the Oceania TGP (thanks again); and seeing how things worked in Dar vs
our region. We had quite an internal debate about how to manage
accommodation in particular, also when to pay grants - given the expense
involved in travel around our region.

I agree that decisions about when to deliver funding, and how to do
accommodation, should be reviewed on a case-by-case / conference by
conference basis, there will not be a one-size-for-all approach that works.

I'll have time to review Steven's document next week, and happy to stay
involved.

Cheers

Adam

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 at 14:26, John Bryant <johnwbryant at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, just a quick note here from Oceania. We ran a TGP for FOSS4G SotM
> Oceania, and ended up awarding grants to 7 attendees, partly funded by
> OSGeo and partly by our Good Mojo program [1]. We're certainly keen to run
> a similar program for 2019, and hopefully will expand it to have greater
> impact. It was heavily subscribed, despite short notice periods and fairly
> minimal advertising. We received excellent feedback from our attendees on
> this program.
>
> *>My guess is that regional and national TGP will focus on locals and
> short travels.*
> For Oceania, many of our TGP attendees traveled to Melbourne from the
> Pacific Islands (Fiji, Samoa, Solomon Islands), which is actually a fairly
> large journey, with expensive airfares and onerous visa processes
> (particularly for Australia, hopefully less so for New Zealand). I suppose
> every region will have some circumstances that are unique, and some that
> are common to all regions.
>
> I've contacted Till and Steven directly to offer my help with drafting
> processes for supporting regional TGPs.
>
> Cheers
> John
>
> [1] https://2018.foss4g-oceania.org/attend/good-mojo-program