[OSGeo-Conf] [OSGeo-Discuss] Announcement: Call for Location global FOSS4G 2021

Till Adams till.adams at fossgis.de
Fri Sep 6 02:05:34 PDT 2019

Dear Mr. Guney,

many thanks for your email. Please consider my reply as my personal
opinion, so in this case, I am not representing the opinion of the whole
conference committee.

In general, we have to detect, whether Istanbul is "Europe" or "Asia"
first - I know about the geographic location, it's geographically both,
but often Turkey is considered as being part of Europe - in that case, a
bid for 2021 would not be possible, as the next bid for a European
global FOSS4G will be for the 2022 conference. But that is not the
problem, as you can consider yourself as being part of Asia ;-)

My 2nd point is, that we recently had a conference in Bucharest, which
is (on a global level) quite close to Istanbul. This is no problem and
no obstacle handing in a bid for 2021 at all - it *may* just lower your
chances to be selected, as OSGeo loves to see moving FOSS4G around the
globe. But this - again - is just my thought and must not be the truth
and must not be influence my vote in any case! A very good proposal is
of course most convincing, not the geographical location!!

So, in general, of course we, OSGeo's CC, would love to receive as many
bids for the 2021 conference. So feel free to hand in yours.

BTW: The barreer for the first step is quite low, as you can see on the
bid page in the WIKI [1] - hand in a letter of intent (which is
restricted to a max. of 2 pages) and then you are in the process. The
"real" work begins once you passed stage 1.

I wish you all the best!

Till

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2021_Bid_Process