[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2020 Cancelation

Peter Batty peter at ebatty.com
Wed Apr 22 13:05:35 PDT 2020

Jon,

Echoing what others have said, I wanted to thank you and the team for all
your efforts, and I'm sorry you have had the misfortune to find yourself in
the current situation. While clearly now is not the time to decide, and you
will need to work out what's right for you and the team further down the
road, I'd encourage you to not rule out hosting it in 2022. While you say
it would be starting over, I'm sure there's a lot of planning, ideas and
experience that you could reuse.

To the conference committee, this is not super urgent but I think we should
consider changing the rotation so that we plan on North America being the
location for the 2022 event (whether it ends up being Calgary or not). Then
also, as already suggested, when we reach the point in time that we would
be starting the process, we check back with the Calgary team to see if they
would like to host it and if so let them proceed without having a
competitive selection process.

Cheers,
    Peter.