[OSGeo-Conf] Need to define rules for %age of backflow of FOSS4G surplus

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Mon Jan 6 09:10:20 PST 2020

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 2:22 PM Darrell Fuhriman <darrell at garnix.org> wrote:

> I might flip Eli’s formulation a bit — say 90% to OSGeo on the first $100k, then 50/50 thereafter, or perhaps some “bonus structure”. If the primary goal is to help OSGeo, then the incentive structure should reflect that.

I'm in favor of "capping out" the total to the local chapter.  Unless
a local chapter has a particular method for spending the funds in some
useful way, I don't think that more than $10-30k is useful.  We should
evaluate any formulation with various surplus amounts ($10,000,
$60,000, $120,000, and $200,000+) to see how they play out and what
we're trying to achieve.

> As far as cost, it’s actually pretty hard to bring the cost down for a conference in the 1000-attendee size. The biggest knobs you have to turn are catering costs (i.e. don’t have food) and/or to bring in more sponsorship to subside the cost.

I think this is largely why we've not seen substantially different
proposals.  ~1,000 attendee conferences at a venue with catering more
or less sets the cost.

> For most attendees, the cost of travel is the bulk of the cost of attending. So while it certainly can make a difference at the margins, I’m not sure it’s the driving factor for most people. (This would actually be an excellent question to survey past and prospective attendees — having data around this would really help our decision-making.)
>
> FWIW, I know I’m often the lone voice in the wilderness on the topic, but this is a good case for investing in an individual, even if part time, to help find sponsorship dollars. It’s a very specific skillset, one which the LOCs may often not have, and one that would really benefit from building and maintaining long-term relationships in a way the current model of throwing all new people in the mix every year doesn’t.

I think that there is more support for this than just you.  To tie
this back to our budget discussion, we could put a placeholder number
in for such a position and see where we go with it.  I'm in favor of
this but maybe we should start a new thread for that.

Best regards, Eli