[OSGeo-Conf] Need to define rules for %age of backflow of FOSS4G surplus

María Arias de Reyna delawen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 02:00:08 PST 2020

I'm trying to avoid jumping in this thread as I am a very interested party
here. I don't want to influence much the general rules for future events
based on what we need right now.

But consider this:

I'm in favor of "capping out" the total to the local chapter.  Unless
> a local chapter has a particular method for spending the funds in some
> useful way, I don't think that more than $10-30k is useful.

Having the funds in advance to be able to organize a regional and local
event without having to worry when then money is going to be available on
the bank account is a huge relief and helps a lot on the sustainability of
the regional events. Maybe the question here is if we want a centralized
OSGeo fund system or we rely on the local/regional chapters to be able to
handle funds. Both options have advantages and disadvantages.

Yes, probably a profit of 200k is too much for a regional/local chapter.
And maybe 30k looks like a lot if you are thinking on organizing small
events. But for example, when it comes to a regional event that wants to
also have a TGP, that money in advance is key to be able to do it properly.
Even when you are sure you will have profit, tickets and sponsors are
incomings that can came too late.

And I know what you are going to tell me: we can ask for money anytime so
OSGeo gives us seed money or donations when needed, we don't need to store
it ourselves. But right now I'm thinking on my particular case, where each
transfer to/from Argentina is painful due to currency exchange. Giving
money back to OSGeo in 2021 to ask again for money later means losing money
on each conversion. Painful. And my "poor person" mindset quickly jumps
into "better leave the money sitting here, we have time to give it back to
OSGeo later if needed".

IMHO we should prioritize empowering regional and local events and leaving
"traces" of the OSGeo budget on different places can help a lot here. I bet
Argentina is not the only case where fees or currency exchanges or similar
"eats" a portion of the cake. Maybe others just assumed it as normal and
didn't consider they can store part of that money instead of paying extra
fees? The important thing is to use the money to keep OSGeo running. If it
is centralized or not... I don't know that is best.

TL;DR: Each chapter will have its own reasons to ask for a different profit
percentage. Guidelines are good, but write them in stone may discourage
some locations.

And I disappear again.

Cheers!
María.