[OSGeo-Conf] Who wants to be more involved with the conference committee?

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Wed Apr 7 20:33:46 PDT 2021

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 11:59 PM María Arias de Reyna <delawen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Take into account that Malena and me will (probably?) join the committee
> at the end of the year. Would that be enough to cover your part?

Hi Maria (and Melena),

That's exciting for you to be joining soon!  I see the formal membership of
the conference committee limited to reading and voting on RFPs and letters
of intent and asking helpful questions if needed.  Generally that doesn't
take much time and effort.  There are numerous people who to varying
extents complete that function and I think that function is adequately
covered.

I see the most important involvement in the conference committee to not
depend on formal membership.  I would hope that the committee would
recognize someone doing this work with formal membership as well but don't
see that as strictly required and the committee has a history of being open
to ideas, discussion, proposals, and work completed by
non-(formal)members.  The more important involvement in the conference
committee is general housekeeping (writing and running the conference RFP,
managing votes, keeping our records (SVN, wiki, etc), being mindful of
keeping our processes operating at least semi-smoothly, helping coordinate
cumbersome projects from their initial idea to formalized, smoothly running
programs [like the travel grant program], remembering our history and being
able to find it, helping newer members learn how the committee operates,
knowing how the different parts of OSGeo interrelate and how to coordinate
with SAC, Board, others, and more, and hopefully sticking around for
several years and trying to pass it on to future people, etc).  As far as I
can tell, most of the formal members of this committee are not interested
in those aspects.  In short, the grunt work of the committee.  Perhaps this
is why no one is interested in it (or few are interested in it)?  Have I
phrased it in an appealing enough manner to interest you?  All the formal
members can chime in that they are interested as well too.

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 12:18 AM Luca Delucchi <lucadeluge at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Eli,
>
> On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 at 00:25, Eli Adam <eadam at co.lincoln.or.us> wrote:
> >
> > Anyone interested?  Should I be bringing attention to this elsewhere?
> >

> I'm interested but I think this not the right moment for me, let's see
> how will goes the Florence proposal

Hi Luca,

Best of luck with the Florence proposal, that will keep you busy for a
while.  Looking forward to a future time when it may be the right time for
you.

Best regards, Eli