[OSGeo-Conf] RfP FOSS4G2024

María Arias de Reyna delawen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 02:22:56 PST 2022

On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 11:17 AM Luca Delucchi <lucadeluge at gmail.com> wrote:

> Il ven 16 dic 2022, 10:31 Adam Steer <adam.d.steer at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>

>> Perhaps another solution is for OSGeo to decouple 'FOSS4G' and 'main
>> source of OSGeo funding'. If we are not relying so much on profit from
>> FOSS4G every year, then it seems we open a lot of opportunities for
>> putting FOSS4G in other more often. I'm really interested to hear your
>> thoughts about that - is it something we can achieve as an
>> organisation in 2023? Is it something we *should* aim for?
>>

> I agree on this, but how?
> This is a hard topic and should be discussed together between the board
> and conference committee

This has been on the table for several years now, trying to push companies
to sponsor OSGeo directly instead of through the FOSS4G. Right now a
company's sponsoship in OSGeo is the sum of your sponsorship to local
events, main foss4g, and the money you give directly to OSGeo.

We don't want companies stopping sponsoring events. But at the same time we
don't want to get all the money from the events.

Maybe we need a sponsorship committee.