[OSGeo-Conf] RfP FOSS4G2024

michael terner ternergeo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 09:09:09 PST 2022

I'd like to validate that I agree with almost everything that was written
recently:

   1. YES, we should split the discussion between getting the 2024 RFP out,
   and the "larger FOSS4G issues"
      - Perhaps changing the rotation and reconsidering regions is a
      "larger issue"?
      - There does seem to be flexibility to include other regions
      responding to 2024 if North America can't muster a bid.
   2. YES, I would be available to participate in a Conference Dev meeting;
   or, as suggested, having a more focused email thread aimed at getting to
   consensus on changes, and then releasing the 2024 RFP.
   3. I neglected to thank Steven in my earlier email as he has been a
   consistent advocate for new ideas and he has been talking about "active
   recruitment" of FOSS4G teams for a long time. Suffice to say, I strongly
   agree with that perspective. I hope I am wrong, but I continue to be
   worried about not having enough bidders to sustain a strong FOSS4G.
   4. I believe that Conference Dev should convene some kind of meeting
   and/or email thread to address multiple valid and important issues that we
   (as Conference Dev)/OSGeo need to address. Based on this thread alone, the
   following have come up:
      - How important is FOSS4G conference revenue to OSGeo? Perhaps, we
      need to hear from the OSGeo Board?
      - Is it feasible to believe that OSGeo corporate sponsorships would
      be enough to support FOSS4G conferences?
      - Should we reevaluate the current 3 region rotation for FOSS4G?
      - Should we consider re-thinking and re-defining the current 3
      regions? Should there be more regions? Should current regional
definitions
      change?
      - Should we reconsider the current model of relying solely on
      regional volunteers to deliver FOSS4G Conferences? Could/should OSGeo do
      more to actively recruit FOSS4G teams?

Once the holidays pass, it seems like a good time to look forward and think
about potential change.

All the best for a great new year in 2023...

MT

Michael Terner
ternergeo at gmail.com
(M) 978-631-6602