[OSGeo-Conf] Vote for RfP 2025 by 28th of May

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Fri May 31 06:07:30 PDT 2024

Hi Jeroen,

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I concur that there a numerous
geospatial communities around the world, however I was careful with my
word choice: International conferences shouldn't be hosted in these
particularly remote. Run local ones, that's fine, but putting
international conferences in some of the most geographically remote
places in the world just isn't sustainable. Think about it another way:
Will the benefits of hosting an international conference in these places
really be worth the extra several thousand tons of CO2 they create? I
simply don't see how.

/> It will be up to the participants individual considerations if that
implies visiting a Global OSGeo conference in Brasil, in Japan or in New
Zealand. Or not to and wait for a global conference that is closer to
home. With due respect for individual perspectives and considerations./

Alas, all evidence suggests that humans are not capable of making this
decision rationally. Aspects of the Tragedy of the Commons come into
play here, along with various cognitive biases, personality traits, etc.
Very few people assess societal best interests when making decisions
(and that's ignoring that "societal best interests" is going to be very
subjective and almost impossible to quantify anyway).

/> The Conference Committee and the submitters of the current proposals
are, form my perspective, extremely capable of taking all aspects of
hosting a global conference into consideration, including environmental
impact/

Unfortunately this process remains, ironically, closed. So there's no
evidence to support this assertion; we have no idea what criteria are
actually being used for the selection. Even if we give the committee the
benefit of the doubt, there are innumerable cognitive biases that will
still be affecting their decision, and we have no transparency into
that. A public scoring mechanism would be much more objective and open.
I tried googling around for examples that could be built from, but my
internet is woefully broken (56k baud speeds in 2024 == frustration).

Cheers,

Jonathan