[OSGeo-Discuss] Ballot: OSGeo Logo Contest Voting

Allan Doyle adoyle at eogeo.org
Wed Apr 26 11:30:14 PDT 2006

I am blown away by the effort that people put into these. The
creativity is excellent.

At the same time, I think it's premature to vote for a specific logo.
I think there needs to be some iteration and some adaptation. There
are elements of each that I like, but at the same time, I don't feel
that any of them quite hits the mark for me.

If the vote proceeds, then I'll abstain. If we decide to wait and
allow for a round or two of tweaking, I might feel able to vote later.

Let me also say, I've been through some logo design work myself and
know how hard it is. I did not submit anything because of the time it
would have taken to think of something and also because of the
somewhat "commercial" contest rules, so I doubly appreciate that
people put in entries.

Some comments. Meant to be constructive, meant to justify why I would
prefer not to vote yet. Not meant to be negative in any way...

Jacob Delfos - great start. I would lobby hard to say "Putting Open
Source On The Map" since "OS" is pretty well tied to "Ordnance
Survey" in the geo-world. The globe'd "O" strikes me as a little ESRI-
ish, and the "E" in the font is a bit avant-garde, but I can live
with it.

Brian Randy Funk - Nice concept. The G and the keyhole make sense.
But in the face of the other, cleaner presentations, it's hard to
judge this on the same level. I'm a little leery of the bit to the
right of the G looking a little too much like the result of an
explosion that happened in the G.

Alain Grignon - Cool concept. I wish it were not so, but the image
that jumps into my mind is that of a bald, caucasian male. Wrong
stereotype. We want diversity. In a perfect, balanced world, this
would be ok. Some of the color choices are better than others. The
light-on-dark versions do look a little sinister. However, the
overall idea would result in instant recognition once the logo is out
there.

Aaron Koning - Takes the prize for presentation. A recognizable logo
that works with or without the text is good. I like the colors. The
compass rose is a little overused in the geo world. And outside...
see http://www.truenav.com/ http://quartershackle.com/Downloads/
background6.jpg

	Allan