[OSGeo-Discuss] Mobile GPS data collection...

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Aug 2 06:21:49 PDT 2006

Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Tyler Mitchell wrote:
>> On 28-Jul-06, at 6:00 AM, map it out wrote:
>>
>>> So we definitely have some interest in both the hardware and software
>>> including some people that are willing to participate, including myself.
>>> Where do we go from here?  I'd like to keep the ball rolling.
>> Do you guys think we should get a separate list for this?  This discuss
>> list is usually quite quiet, it's worth continuing it here in the short
>> term, in my opinion.
>>
>> I started a topic on the OSGeo wiki for our notes and ideas to go into:
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Mobile_Solutions
>>
>> If you haven't already done so, register on that wiki so you can edit
>> that page and start adding your ideas of requirements/platforms, etc.
>
> Today, I put TOC and some content on the Mobile_Solutions wiki page.
> I'd like to call for some review of the proposal of document structure
> and content.

Recently, we discussed new comments and ideas on the list.
So, just to summarize, it seems most of us are inclined to focus on
researching and analysis of users requirements and needs and to
start to work on some prototype for PCs/Laptops or devices like OQO or
other devices that can run common Linux distribution (simply, to not to
focus on particular mobile device/OS). Linux-based prototype got most votes.
Next, we've started to form the project organization (Tyler's effort in
contacting maptools.org, ideas of mailing lists, wiki, etc.)

I'd like to invite all of you interested to:
- discuss form of project organization (who would like to participate)
- discuss Wiki pages structure to make it clean and clear to put
summaries of particular concepts
- discuss informal meeting opportunity on the FOSS4G 2006 in Lausanne
(this could be a kind of first step in researching users requirements)

Please, give your comments on these subjects. Thanks!

Best regards
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net