[OSGeo-Discuss] Draft of Guidelines for OSGeo Local Chapters

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Thu Aug 3 22:02:59 PDT 2006

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the edit. I think the guidelines looks
better (simpler now)

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

>  o Strip out all the old 3-tier document so we can focus on the new
>    simplified proposal.
>  o Separated out the "formation steps" into a subtopic, and fine tuned
>    a bit.
>  o Added a mention of local chapters providing networking opportunities
>    for member to member support, job opportunities, etc.

All fine.

> In the guidelines you list:
>
>   #  “OSGeo Chapter” must develop and maintain “Directory Listing”
>   of companies, people, universities and organizations involved with
>   or using OSGeo projects

Changed to
"“OSGeo Chapter” is encouraged develop and maintain “Directory Listing” of
companies, people, universities and organizations involved with or using OSGeo
projects"

> I'm not sure why this needs to be a requirement.  I think it might be
> desirable, but could be left to the chapter to pursue if they wish.
> We haven't made any effort to do that at the global level, so why are
> we demanding it from the chapters?

Maybe encouraging Local Chapters to develop such a listing would
help in efforts are global level. Ottawa Chapter has started a
directory listing on their wiki and I thought that was a good feature.

>   # “OSGeo Chapter” must support OSGeo projects at large

Changed to “OSGeo Chapter” must support the OSGeo Mission and Objectives of OSGeo

> When I added the "Provide member networking opportunities for support
> and job opportunities" item to the roles of a chapter, my goal was
> to point out that in large part local chapters exist to support the
> local members in a variety of ways, not just to promote the goals
> of OSGeo as a whole.  Local member benefits include member-to-member
> support, networking opportunities for finding related jobs, finding
> business opportunities in the region and so forth.  I'm not too fixed
> on the exact wording, but I think it is important that local chapters
> keep this local-member-support role as key or they are unlikely to be
> very successful at getting and keeping members.

Agree.

I have split the "Chapter Responsibilities" and "Chapter Benefits"
See http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Local_Chapter_Guidelines

> PS. I apologize for taking liberties with your text.  Please consider
> it as "in the spirit of the wiki" and feel free to revert aspects to
> your original text as you see fit.

I like the "the spirit of the wiki" as well as other sprits!!
Pl. feel free to change edit if necessary. Hope we can present
the draft at todays BoD meeting.

Regards

Venka