[OSGeo-Discuss] Draft of Guidelines for OSGeo Local Chapters

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 3 21:27:34 PDT 2006

raghavan wrote:
> Hi Ned,
>
> Thanks for your feedback Ned.
>
> Have added a draft guidelines for non-tierd frame
> "New Draft of Guidelines (No tier Framework)".
> The previous 3-tiered framework is available
> under the heading "New Draft of Guidelines (3 Tier Framework)"
> on http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Local_Chapter_Guidelines
>
> Basically, I think the guidelines must stipulate what
> OSGeo expects from "OSGeo Chapters" and vice-versa.
> Guidelines also to ensure that we don't end-up wth too
> many dormant chapters or some undesirable use of OSGeo's
> resources.
>
> It would be nice if the guidelines could be simplified
> further. Any suggestions about the frame work (tiered,
> nested) is welcome.

Venka,

This looks like a fantastic leap ahead to me!  I have taken the liberty
of making a number of changes:

  o Strip out all the old 3-tier document so we can focus on the new
    simplified proposal.
  o Separated out the "formation steps" into a subtopic, and fine tuned
    a bit.
  o Added a mention of local chapters providing networking opportunities
    for member to member support, job opportunities, etc.

In the guidelines you list:

   #  “OSGeo Chapter” must develop and maintain “Directory Listing”
   of companies, people, universities and organizations involved with
   or using OSGeo projects

I'm not sure why this needs to be a requirement.  I think it might be
desirable, but could be left to the chapter to pursue if they wish.
We haven't made any effort to do that at the global level, so why are
we demanding it from the chapters?

   # “OSGeo Chapter” must support OSGeo projects at large

I'm not sure what the implications of the above are.

When I added the "Provide member networking opportunities for support
and job opportunities" item to the roles of a chapter, my goal was
to point out that in large part local chapters exist to support the
local members in a variety of ways, not just to promote the goals
of OSGeo as a whole.  Local member benefits include member-to-member
support, networking opportunities for finding related jobs, finding
business opportunities in the region and so forth.  I'm not too fixed
on the exact wording, but I think it is important that local chapters
keep this local-member-support role as key or they are unlikely to be
very successful at getting and keeping members.

PS. I apologize for taking liberties with your text.  Please consider
it as "in the spirit of the wiki" and feel free to revert aspects to
your original text as you see fit.

Best regards,