Packaging an Integrated Geospatial Stack

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Aug 16 14:09:35 PDT 2006

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> * It is still early, and we don't have our software stack in place, but
> I think our end goal should be to provide value to the end user.
> An end user will want to easilly deploy a quality Geospatial Software
> Stack.
> We are addressing quality through our incubation process.
> However, I'm not aware of anyone within OSGeo addressing packaging of an
> integrated Geospatial stack.

Cameron,

Distributing an integrated stack of software to end users has been identified
as an important goal for the foundation, and we have agreed about this at
the board level.  However, it is not yet clear how to move forward on this
very important point.

I've prepared a few preliminary thoughts of my own at:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/OSGeo_Binary_Distribution

I'm interested in ideas on how we might bootstrap such an effort.  There
is a very real possibility of some degree of funding for the work, though
no doubt we will also need a fair amount of volunteer effort to make this
really work.

If there was a person or people with an interest in a large involvement in
such an effort, I would be happy to help get things setup and moving a bit.
But I've deliberately avoided assuming a leadership role on such an effort
because I am feeling quite overextended already.

Best regards,