[OSGeo-Discuss] Packaging an Integrated Geospatial Stack

Shorter, Cameron cameron.shorter at adi-limited.com
Wed Aug 16 17:33:50 PDT 2006

Frank,
Your wiki is an excellent start.
I think the next step is:

1. Define specific user use cases for GIS software.
Eg: A user has a shapefile and they want to display it to the public over
the web using a basemap provided by someone else (eg Google).
Ideally, we can get some users to help define the use cases, then fund the
Geospatial Stack project.

2. Identify a set of milestones for the software stack.
Eg: Release 1:
* Postgis database
* Geoserver/Mapserver WMS/WFS
* Mapbuilder/Mapbender WMS/WFS client

Release 2:
Release 3: ...

3. Identify target platform and distribution medium.
Eg: Ubuntu linux, get incorporated into the core Ubuntu linux distribution.

4. Create a distribution project
I think the distribution project should be treated in a similar manner to
the other participating projects. It should contain email lists, bug
trackers, Project Steering Committee etc.

5. Build the Release Stacks

This Email may contain confidential and/or privileged information and is intended
solely for the addressee(s) named. If you have received this information in error, or
are advised that you have been posted this Email by accident, please notify the
sender by return Email, do not redistribute it, delete the Email and keep no copies.