[OSGeo-Discuss] Packaging an Integrated Geospatial Stack

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Wed Aug 16 23:31:49 PDT 2006

Shorter, Cameron wrote:
> Venkatesh,
> It is great to see that you have put together a release of OSGeo products.
>
> Was this effort a one off, or do you have plans to continue this?

We plan to continue this effort. It took us almost four months to get
the CD ready.
We are considering a modest annual release cycle, but need help with

a) Testing for other RPM based distributions (Open Suse, Red Hat etc.)
b) Help with RPM packing of OSSIM, Geotools, MapGuide Open Source)
c) Migration of tools such as Maplab2.2 from PHP4 to PHP5
d) Need mirrors for out ISO CD want to save our bandwith
> What do you suggest is required to set up a sustained packaging process for
> projects?
> If someone who understands packaging could write down the process and set up
> any related tools, then OSGeo projects could modify their release processes
> to feed into the OSGeo Integrated Build process.

Maybe OSGeo should consider having a "RPM Farm" so that users could use
automated tools (urpmi)
to install from RPM farm
> Being part of the OSGeo distribution packaging could become part of the
> Incubation process. (Maybe that is going a bit far).

Official OSGeo CD maybe.

Regards

Venka