[OSGeo-Discuss] Packaging an Integrated Geospatial Stack

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Aug 17 09:42:08 PDT 2006

I can at least help out on the OS X side of this.

Most of the OS X distributions I have are ready to use as is on such
a CD.  The frameworks can easily be made simpler for installation
with an installer package.  I could easily setup a burnable disk
image - a dual-format disk would be needed, ISO9660/HFS+, but I think
the Mac stuff can be packaged so it's safe on a 9660 file system (and
that would make sharing sample data with the different OS packages
easier).

I can take a look at the other OSGeo projects to see what OS X
specific info is needed for installation (ie different paths for
stuff) if not already there, and maybe think about ideas for
installers for them.

On Aug 16, 2006, at 4:09 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Distributing an integrated stack of software to end users has been
> identified
> as an important goal for the foundation, and we have agreed about
> this at
> the board level.  However, it is not yet clear how to move forward
> on this
> very important point.
>
> I've prepared a few preliminary thoughts of my own at:
>
>   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/OSGeo_Binary_Distribution
>
> I'm interested in ideas on how we might bootstrap such an effort.
> There
> is a very real possibility of some degree of funding for the work,
> though
> no doubt we will also need a fair amount of volunteer effort to
> make this
> really work.
>
> If there was a person or people with an interest in a large
> involvement in
> such an effort, I would be happy to help get things setup and
> moving a bit.
> But I've deliberately avoided assuming a leadership role on such an
> effort
> because I am feeling quite overextended already.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed
robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do
if you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer,
I'm 50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the
answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy