[OSGeo-Discuss] Mapping Networks to Locations

Dan Karran dan at karran.net
Fri Aug 18 13:54:37 PDT 2006

Philip,

On 8/18/06, Philip Mark Donaghy <philip.donaghy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm working on mapping networks to geographic locations. To what
> extent has this been done? My experience is that web server statistics
> have this kind of knowledge built in.
>
> I need it for configuring portal content negociation. That is if a
> person access the portal they should be presented with local content
> based on their IP address which is mapped to a location.

Geolocation of IP addresses isn't the most accurate of things, but it
should be enough to connect the majority of users with a broad
geographic region. There's an opensource database and set of APIs out
there called GeoIP by MaxMind which you may be interested in:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/geoip/ or
http://www.maxmind.com/app/ip-location

Regards,
Dan