[OSGeo-Discuss] Input regarding Axis Order Confusion

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Wed Dec 13 14:50:12 PST 2006

On Wed, December 13, 2006 18:55, Bob Basques wrote:
> Arnulf Christl wrote:
>> Hello,
>> if you are aware of anything that might enhance information regarding
>> the
>> great Axis Order Confusion that we are faced with in the spatial realm
>> please feel free to add it to this Wiki page:
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Axis_Order_Confusion
>>
> I did add a little tidbit to this related to 3D.
>
> bobb

Thank you so much. I mean - it sounds stupid if I personally thank you for
doing this as it is something that comes naturally from a community of
which I am just part. My "problem" is that I know that there are quite a
few negative vibes around regarding what happened to WMS 1.3 with respect
to the axis order (regardless of ommitting SLD) but it seems to be hard to
get those people to voice them yet again.

I have been at (yet another) discussion regarding what OGC is going to do
with respect to changing the axis order in 1.3 and later. It seems like
they (we?) are going to stick with it. Why that? Because nobody is against
it (here you come in) and it is the "right" way to do it. With respect to
the EPSG definitionn this is actually true. With respect to GeoRSS it is
actually also true.

Nonetheless I wonder whether it really makes sense to write down something
like (y,x,z) when noting something down including height. It does not look
as stupid if you code it in GeoRSS where height has its own tag "elev".
Yeah, but what mess is this?

If I am alone with the approach of trying to leave x and y where they
belong then I will just shut up and thats it. but we are then losing
contact to the standards body and I don't think this is a good idea.

If you are tired to talk about this publicly you can get me directly to
rant away but please at least do this as I currently feel sort of stupid
to have started this discussion (yet again) when it is completely
irrelevant to everybody. (I know that my hurt feelings are not a
compelling reason to become active but the prospect of breaking a thousand
public WMS and drop downward omaptiability did not seem to do the trick?!)

:-)

Thanks.

>> There is some discussion going as to having to break WMS 1.1.1 (and WFS
>> and SFS and probably everything) in order to rectify this problem which
>> think is the end of the world. Well, ok maybe not quite but it will make
>> things stall, so lets be reasonable on this.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> --
>
> ****************  You can't be late until you show up.  ***************
> ************  You never learn anything by doing it right.  ************
> ***  War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left.  ***

Arnulf Christl
http://www.ccgis.de