[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposal to find an alternative to Collabnet

Allan Doyle adoyle at eogeo.org
Mon Jul 17 14:50:39 PDT 2006

Is it so important to move things to a common environment for
developers? Is the cost of doing that so high that it starts to cut
into development?

Jody's point about matching look and feel sounds like the more
important one. If we work backwards, what end result are we looking
for? Surely not carefully lined up projects, all neatly tucked away
into a version control system with parallel file naming conventions,
variable naming schemes and so on. I'd like to see compatible binary
packages for major platforms, ease of side-by-side installations of
components, etc. Basically the topics we were hitting on in the
OpenSDI list.

If projects do the proper copyright/IP management, then it should be
ok to use any tools to do so.

Or am I missing something?

	Allan