[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposal to find an alternative to Collabnet

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Mon Jul 17 14:37:12 PDT 2006

Hi Cameron, thanks for keeping discussion open and on the list. Much
nicer out in public even when difficult.

 From my perspective I got a lot of work to do to get GeoTools ready and
Collabnet is the last thing on my mind. I am way more concerned about
what the standard Look and Feel ends up being for OSGEO projects...
because that I will match.

We origionally started using Confluence for the uDig project and looked
into porting the content to Drupal. It really did not work and i would
be sorry to say how much time we spent on it. It was interesting how
effective donating confluence is to open source projects is for Allisian....

Thanks for quoting the following page, the tables near the bottom were
started by me to explain why GeoTools is not moving
to Collabnet at this time... which is not to say we are not hurting for
resources (in the meeting to day we were talking about hosting
builds on TOPP and Refractions servers).
> This page is a good start:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Project_Infrastructure_Migration
So what I want is this:
1. Web LNF from the webcomm (who I have not had a chance to help with
until the geotools IP check is done)
2. Update my confluence sites to match
3. Keep tabs on CollabNet offerings, and how seriously intergrated LnF
is as a requirement for OSGEO projects

If the times comes to switch, and it may, it will be based on the least
hassle for developers on the project. The performance of confluence
on the codehaus is a trouble, and I can no longer export based on the
timeouts experienced (bleck).

One serious issue is that most of our navigation structure is based on
parent child page relationships included in pages via macros, this is
the kind
of thing that never translates well - even if the base content does. So
I am really not going to give this much more thought until it becomes a
problem. It is nice having CollabNet as an escape avenue if needed.

All the best,
Jody