Mobile GPS data collection...

map it out info at mapitout.com
Thu Jul 27 08:27:25 PDT 2006

Hello group,
It's my first posting here, and I would like some input/ideas/collaboration on
the development of an open source data collection application with GPS.
Basically my thoughts at a very high level are:
1. Provide a navigation panel.
2. Integrate map content/data storage into the handheld.
3. Create a wizard type tool for the desktop to create data collection forms,
etc. to be transported to the handheld device.

I find there are not a lot of alternatives to the commercial arcpad
application.  Besides moving to a Tablet, I've already installed Linux-Opie on
my Ipaq, so it's a start.

So, first I would like to know if people think this is a good idea, are others
willing to contribute in the design/coding of this, and has something like
this been done in the past before we get started.

Thanks a lot!

David E.