[OSGeo-Discuss] I just saw this link go by my email ....

Doug Nebert ddnebert at fgdc.gov
Mon Jul 31 10:39:37 PDT 2006

Randy George wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> 	Very helpful overview.
>
> I didn't know - "GeoServer includes support for the Z39.50 catalog server"
>
> There aren't very many OWS catalogue services around.
> Although, this is a useful alternative:
> http://www.refractions.net/white_papers/ogcsurvey/index.php :)
>
> Actually bare links to capabilities xml might be just as useful as a full
> blown OGC Catalogue.
>
> Seems like an OGC Catalogue service (or something like it) would be a useful
> service for OSGeo to host, since public OWSs hold a lot of promise for the
> data side of open source.

There are three protocols for OGC Catalogue Services: Z39.50 (400+
registered servers), HTTP CS-W web interface (at least 50 instances),
and CORBA (perhaps 10).

> I would think NSDI(http://www.fgdc.gov/grants )would want to implement at
> least a catalogue service for USA agencies (part of One Stop). OSGeo is a
> 'bit' more internationally oriented and could better perform the role of
> international OWS cataloguing. A combination of search and community
> populated OGC services would really help. Right now it's difficult to find
> url's to services, many are still experimental, some are not publicized due
> to resource limitations.

The geodata.gov service does expose both a CS-W and Z39.50 interface to
search all its resources (services and data) with the response returned
as XML ("Full" form as FGDC XML).

Z39.50 entrypoint: z3950s://gos2.geodata.gov:210 (databasename=default)
CSW:
http://www.geodata.gov/aimscsw/csw2.0?service=CSW&request=getcapabilities

--

Douglas D. Nebert
Geospatial Data Clearinghouse Coordinator, Information Architect