[OSGeo-Discuss] I just saw this link go by my email ....

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Thu Jul 27 08:44:20 PDT 2006

Jody Garnett wrote:
> Hi Paul, if you sent that out already I apologize ... it was news to me ;-)
> Randy George wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>>     Very helpful overview.
>>
>> I didn't know - "GeoServer includes support for the Z39.50 catalog
>> server"
> Not sure it still does, I think this feature was dropped due to lack of
> interest a couple of releases ago. I am watching GeoNetwork
> and looking for an excuse to collaborate. And now I need to track the
> osgeo data group as well ... oh dear.
Yeah, we dropped support for it since no one used it, and GeoNetwork has
the right implementation.  We never had a gui for z39.50 stuff, while GN
has a very nice one.  So we just recommend using GN.  And both our camps
hope we can get some better integration going, so that the end result
will be even better than GeoServer having z39.50 catalog support (which
I must also note I consider a backwards approach, too stuck in the
library metaphor)

>> Seems like an OGC Catalogue service (or something like it) would be a
>> useful
>> service for OSGeo to host, since public OWSs hold a lot of promise for
>> the
>> data side of open source.
>>
> Indeed holding a nice FeatureType heiarchy, with SLDs to make it look
> pretty would be a great service ;-)
>
> But I am pretty sure you wanted to focus on where the data is,
> GeoNetwork does provide a nice open source
> catalog implementation perhaps we could find a machine to run it on.
Yeah, I'd agree right now our focus is more on the data, and a minimum
set of metadata, instead of a full on catalog server.  Something much
more lightweight, that other services can crawl.  See:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Geodata_Metadata_Requirements

But yes, some of us hope that GeoNetwork will be an OSGeo project soon,
and it will definitely make sense to stand it up as part of the stack -
indeed it's the only open source server that implements the catalog part
of the stack.  Hopefully it can integrate with the lighter weight
approach the geodata committee is taking.

best regards,

Chris