[OSGeo-Discuss] Mobile GPS data collection...

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Jul 27 11:36:23 PDT 2006

Gary Lang wrote:
> The UI is the most important thing, agreed.
>
> The most important thing in our UIs is the Map. It's hard to have a
> useful UI for a map to replace paper on a device that is 1/8 the size
>  of the paper.

I agree but ergonomic usage of mobile GIS on PDA-size device
requires change of work-style which should be supported by the
application. For example, when GPS is on and user is collecting points,
the scale automatically switches to 1:500 or max 1:1000 (configurable in
settings). Number of tapping required to complete a task should be
minimized, as I said using hardware keys is better, also instead of
displaying message boxes which require user to tap yes/no, the
application may ask using voice capabilities of a device and user can
accept/cancel with hardware keys.
Snapping, ring/polygon closing, layers autosave should be automated but
configurable.

I just want to say that if there is an option between PDA or nothing,
we've choosed PDA and tried to make it as usable as possible.

> And, the economics of CE that drove its creatuion 10 years ago are
> not the same today. A useful iPaq is $600 and a useful - some would
> say more useful - laptop $700.

I can't imagine surveying in forest with laptop, but I can with Tablet PC.
There were many attempts and devices tests taken by polish forestry
officers  and laptop was found as unusable in field (works 2-3 hours,
heavy, damage prone with water and sand, difficult to hold it and work
on it together). The only option with bigger screen I see is rugged
Tablet PC.

Best regards
--
Mateusz Loskot