[OSGeo-Discuss] Mobile GPS data collection...

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Mon Jul 31 08:02:51 PDT 2006

Bob Basques wrote:

-----------------------
My database of choice for the storage, at least for points, would be
MYSQL, much lower overhead for storage and retrieval.  The Mapping side
is a different story, but speed and simplicity would be the order of the
day.  While there's no reason a Spatial database couldn't be used for
the mapping, I would suspect that the management of the mapping data
might be easier with static SHP files in the near term.

I know that it hasn't received much attention yet, but I think that the
new SDF format would be a great choice for this kind of application.

It's an open SQLite-based format that allows for multiple tables,
spatial indexing, projection information, and more to be stored in a
single file.  Its only drawback is that it's a single-user format, but
this isn't much of an issue for mobile data collection.

SDF can be read/written using the open source FDO data abstraction
layer: https://fdo.osgeo.org/

Jason