[OSGeo-Discuss] Mobile GPS data collection...

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Jul 31 11:48:33 PDT 2006

Jason Birch wrote:
> Bob Basques wrote:
>
> -----------------------
> My database of choice for the storage, at least for points, would be
> MYSQL, much lower overhead for storage and retrieval.  The Mapping side
> is a different story, but speed and simplicity would be the order of the
> day.  While there's no reason a Spatial database couldn't be used for
> the mapping, I would suspect that the management of the mapping data
> might be easier with static SHP files in the near term.
> -----------------------
>
> I know that it hasn't received much attention yet, but I think that the
> new SDF format would be a great choice for this kind of application.
>
> It's an open SQLite-based format that allows for multiple tables,
> spatial indexing, projection information, and more to be stored in a
> single file.

Jason,

Hmm, I've had no idea SDF is based on the SQLite.
That's nice and makes this format interesting for mobile GIS.

I started some overview about SDF format with call for details :-)
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Mobile_Solutions#Spatial_Data_File_.28SDF.29

> Its only drawback is that it's a single-user format, but
> this isn't much of an issue for mobile data collection.

Yup, I think so too.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot