[OSGeo-Discuss] Mobile GPS data collection...

Bob Basques bob.b at gritechnologies.com
Mon Jul 31 19:14:37 PDT 2006

Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Bob Basques wrote:
>
>> I'm more inclined to go with some sort of Web Based Syncing of the
>> data collection.
>>

> Bob,
>
> Me too, but think that only Web based synced application would limit its
> proliferation. I mean, in many countries, you can not even dream about
> long-time Internet access in field, for example when collecting data in
> forest.

I talking about Web based even when connected over a landline, why use
more than one system.  The same would work for a wireless set up as it
would for a landline connection.  Since the discussion has been centered
on the idea of having a WEB server on the portable device as well, let
this Web Service (or a component of) handle the syncing process behind
the scene , with a simple report being required as an output to the user
to let them know that the syncing process has taken place,  All user
interaction is through the local Webserver on the portable device, and
the syncing process is where the effort is put into.
> IMHO combined solution of Web based synchronization and local database
> would be best.

Agreed, with some Web Service component (this is I think where the
effort should be placed) that handles the data syncing process.

>> My first thought was to use a WebServer on the device that handles
>> the data collection as a standalone device, and also the
>> communications with a main database server.
>>

> It depends on how powerful is the device, but I think mobile device is
> better to be a client of remote services, than provider.

A local (portable service) provider shouldn't be too much of a burden or
resource hog, and will provide for much greater control of any
development efforts.

>> This is just a starting point for conversation however.
>> But it's all dealing with automating
>> things to the fullest extent.  Having the Webserver on the mobile
>> device handle the communications with the main Database server
>> instead of having the user worry about it.  All the user sees is
>> whether the Web servers have had a connection yet and were able to
>> sync with each other.  This type of system would work with a
>> automatic wireless connection or a manual syncing process.
>>

> I see it interesting so I'd really like to hear more opinions and ideas
> about this kind of solution.
>

>> I would also propose having a auto-tracking map where most, if not
>> all, of the input is done via a spatial interface.  This seems to be
>> the easiest type of interface to use for such things and doesn't add
>> to the training aspects appreciably.
>>

> What do you mean as "auto-tracking"?

A spatial component where a Mapping system is always tracking while the
application is on (no user interaction other than zooming would be
required) and the map in the view is always centered on the currently
captured GPS coordinates (I'm assuming there will be some sort of GPS
component of course)  The idea being to free up the user from having to
worry about getting the map to the correct location, and only worry
about layer visibility and scale of view (zooming).  This map view would
be used for the spatial digitizing of the data capture points, I took
the photo here (pointed in that direction [drag two points]), the
accident occurred here( click map), The Water connection is on this side
of the building, right here (click on map), etc.

bobb