[OSGeo-Discuss] Mobile GPS data collection...

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Mon Jul 31 08:13:37 PDT 2006

On 31-Jul-06, at 2:19 AM, Mateusz Loskot wrote:

> Bob Basques wrote:
>> I'm more inclined to go with some sort of Web Based Syncing of the
>> data collection.
>
> Bob,
>
> Me too, but think that only Web based synced application would
> limit its
> proliferation. I mean, in many countries, you can not even dream about
> long-time Internet access in field, for example when collecting
> data in
> forest.
>
> IMHO combined solution of Web based synchronization and local database
> would be best.

One of the biggest problems I have seen with many modern mobile
solutions is they tend to be developed for urban applications - many
of the latest greatest solutions announced at conferences and
tradeshows are using wifi or cell-based connectivity.  I bet Mateusz
and I are in the same boat (and David) where we want to do
applications in remote rural environments.  In our case there aren't
even roads in some places :)

Bob - I'm not sure you were trying to say we should be using wireless
web to sync - could you clarify?

Tyler