[OSGeo-Discuss] Mobile GPS data collection...

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Jul 31 02:19:48 PDT 2006

Bob Basques wrote:
> I'm more inclined to go with some sort of Web Based Syncing of the
> data collection.

Bob,

Me too, but think that only Web based synced application would limit its
proliferation. I mean, in many countries, you can not even dream about
long-time Internet access in field, for example when collecting data in
forest.

IMHO combined solution of Web based synchronization and local database
would be best.

> My first thought was to use a WebServer on the device that handles
> the data collection as a standalone device, and also the
> communications with a main database server.

It depends on how powerful is the device, but I think mobile device is
better to be a client of remote services, than provider.

> This is just a starting point for conversation however.
> But it's all dealing with automating
> things to the fullest extent.  Having the Webserver on the mobile
> device handle the communications with the main Database server
> instead of having the user worry about it.  All the user sees is
> whether the Web servers have had a connection yet and were able to
> sync with each other.  This type of system would work with a
> automatic wireless connection or a manual syncing process.

I see it interesting so I'd really like to hear more opinions and ideas
about this kind of solution.

> I would also propose having a auto-tracking map where most, if not
> all, of the input is done via a spatial interface.  This seems to be
> the easiest type of interface to use for such things and doesn't add
> to the training aspects appreciably.

What do you mean as "auto-tracking"?

Cheers
--