[OSGeo-Discuss] Mobile GPS data collection...

Bob Basques bob.b at gritechnologies.com
Mon Jul 31 19:18:11 PDT 2006

Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Aaron Koning wrote:
>
>> I think you are spot on Bob! Do you have a web server in mind? What are
>> the options for web servers on the Windows Mobile platform? ApacheCE is
>> a fairly dated project that ported Apache 1.x to WindowsCE. Does anyone
>> know if there is a newer Apache port for Windows Mobile or does
>> compiling Apache from source work well on Windows Mobile? What about PHP?
>>

> Here is a list of HTTP servers for Windows CE-based platforms I know:
>
> 1) vxWeb
>
> http://www.cam.com/vxweb.html
>
> 2) AppWeb HTTP embedded server
> http://www.appwebserver.org/
> http://www.mbedthis.com/index.html
> http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS4106637254.html
>
> 3) Pocket Wireless Webserver
> http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/06/06/1522257
>

> 4) SOAP and XML-RPC protocols for Pocket PC (Windows CE-based platform)
>
> http://www.pocketsoap.com
>

> By the way, for all of you interested, here is a very good explanation
> what are Windows CE, Windows Mobile, Pocket PC and Smarphone platforms:
> http://channel9.msdn.com/wiki/default.aspx/Channel9.WindowsMobileFeedback

While all these are possible candidates, I think I agree with the Idea
of building a CORE Component set first, and then applying it to the
different OS's on a as-needed basis.

How much about these different OS's will be required to document do you
think for development purposes, can we maybe start up a Basic list of
capabilities required by each and go from there?

bobb