[OSGeo-Discuss] Certification commitee

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Mar 15 09:25:17 PST 2006

Paul Spencer wrote:
> Would it make sense to have OSGeo be the holder of certification
> standards.  Individual projects could set the standards for
> certification and 3rd parties (i.e. commercial companies) could then
> develop certification processes that would meet the standards.  OSGeo
> would promote and support the creation of standards, and facilitate
> accrediting a 3rd party?

Paul,

This approach seems quite plausible.  Thing I think would be important:

  o To ensure the certification implies some real depth of knowledge.

  o To ensure the certification process has, and is seen to have
    integrity.

  o To ensure certification is done in cooperation with the relevant
    project committee.

Within those constraints, if we can do the effort in cooperation with
commercial companies, all the better.  In particular, I am dubious
about the foundation being able to do all the day to day operation of
a certification program entirely "in house".  Partly because I am hesitant
to have a large foundation paid staff, and this isn't the sort of thing
that is likely to work really well as an all-volunteer effort.

Best regards,