Which is "best" Mapinfo "substitute"??

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Wed Mar 29 04:50:20 PST 2006

As the project has one (only, single) licenced copy of Mapinfo and no
dosh for more, which of the available open source gis
packages/suites/systems would be the most "substitutable" for mapinfo?

If one can think about it that way...

Windows (which they use) or Linux. I don't have windows working here at
home - well I do, a partition with XP on it, but haven't touched that
for some 3 or 4 years... but perhaps shifting the pooters to linux might
be a bit much to ask of people. I suppose if there is disk space enough
I could dual boot some to get at linux for a "better" open source
GIS...

I still haven't had a chance to play with mapinfo as it is on the
directors PC at HQ and thus restricted access. Nor have I received any
datasets to play with any gis from open source origins, so its getting
quite frustrating!

If nothing makes the case for a move to open source, this one licence
restriction for the GIS in the project must be a potent argument!!

I really need someone to give me an educated walk through of what the
realities are of proposing a shift of an organisation to an open source,
all staff and volunteers with access to a GIS on their 'pooters etc.
(don't worry about maintaining data compliance yet, we'll have to build
in entry policies etc. later).

Incidentally, if anyone has a copy of Schuyler et als intro book on GIS
I could borrow/have as a donation, I'd be most grateful. 25 quid is a
lot to pay when one is a family on a single half-time income :-( So if
anyone has a copy on their bookshelf they've grown out of, this newbie
would be very happy to make use of it!

Cheers
Malcolm